For the second year in a row, we are entering a winter holiday season filled with uncertainty. An ever-evolving COVID-19 pandemic, supply chain issues and diverging consumer finances are making it harder than ever for retail advertisers to choose the right message to send out to consumers. Meanwhile, shoppers need to balance the desire to save with the risks of sellouts, late shipments and missing the holiday.
As we kick off the second pandemic holiday season, Kantar assesses the approach retailers took the first time around, and what to expect from brands and consumers in 2021.
Key findings of this report include:
- The top ten retail advertisers spent $1.1 billion during winter holiday 2020
- Digital advertising now represents more than half of retail spend during the holiday season
- Early sales ads were generally the most effective with consumers last year
- Retail ad spend for the 2021 holiday season is expected to be similar to last year
- Shoppers plan to spend more on holiday gifts in 2021 compared to 2020 or even 2019 pre-pandemic levels
Download the report to learn what to expect this holiday season.